Tuesday, June 18, 2013

9

Review: Dare You To by Katie McGarry

Release Date: 28/05/13
Author Info: Website | Twitter | Facebook
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Format: eARC
Source: Publisher via Netgalley
Buy the Book: Amazon | The Book Depository
My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars
Dare You To by Katie McGarry
Description from Goodreads:
Ryan lowers his lips to my ear. "Dance with me, Beth."

"No." I whisper the reply. I hate him and I hate myself for wanting him to touch me again....

"I dare you..."


If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk's home life, they'd send her mother to jail and seventeen-year-old Beth who knows where. So she protects her mom at all costs. Until the day her uncle swoops in and forces Beth to choose between her mom's freedom and her own happiness. That's how Beth finds herself living with an aunt who doesn't want her and going to a school that doesn't understand her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn't get her, but does....

Ryan Stone is the town golden boy, a popular baseball star jock-with secrets he can't tell anyone. Not even the friends he shares everything with, including the constant dares to do crazy things. The craziest? Asking out the Skater girl who couldn't be less interested in him. But what begins as a dare becomes an intense attraction neither Ryan nor Beth expected. Suddenly, the boy with the flawless image risks his dreams-and his life-for the girl he loves, and the girl who won't let anyone get too close is daring herself to want it all....

I had mixed feelings about the first book Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry. I felt nothing for Echo and Noah’s relationships during the first half of the story however they eventually grew on me as the plot progressed. I admit that some of the moments between them were absolutely heart-wrenching and it was overall a pleasant read with a satisfying ending.

In a way, I also had a similar experience with the sequel. Dare You To follows Beth’s story after the events in Pushing the Limits as she moves to a new town with her estranged uncle, a baseball player who is regarded as a local celebrity and hero. There were a lot of “small town” vibes throughout the book unlike the more urban city setting in PTL. Forget about any semblance of anonymity or privacy as everyone knows each other here. I swear any gossip travels at light speed whether it’d be from the baseball coach, parents, teachers or town council members. Every single one of them seems to be always kept in the loop. It’s probably just me, but I felt that it was quite suffocating at times, however the setting was interesting and quite refreshingly different from what I’m used to.

At first I disliked Ryan and the constant references to dares in the beginning. I was frustrated with his desperation and obsession to fulfil useless dares purely for the sake of stroking his ego and proving a point to his friends. Furthermore it was hypocritical that he used girls for such superficial games yet he insisted not long afterwards that “girls will be treated with respect” and “won’t tolerate anyone disrespecting [Beth]” (e-ARC copy). Also, I found Beth to be really annoying to read in PTL and I was unsure of what to make of her perspective prior to reading Dare You To.

Needless to say, if there is anything that McGarry is impeccable at, it is the wonderful character development that makes her books well worth reading. It was easy to be emotionally invested into their relationship as well as its ups and downs. There were a few sweet moments that were absolutely heart-warming to read. To be honest, I couldn’t imagine Beth and Ryan together at first however I should have given McGarry more credit. Even though Beth wasn’t the most appealing person to walk on earth (her attitude towards Echo was unnecessarily harsh and unfounded), she still had a strong voice and it was easy to be sympathetic to her actions.

I also found Ryan’s reactions to his family situation to be believable. His goals and desires were relatable and it was satisfying to watch him grow from being a jerk in the beginning. However a warning to any reader who isn’t familiar with baseball or lives outside of the US, there were a LOT of baseball references in this book especially with the numerous scenes describing the games. I was often confused by the terminology and jargon however it didn’t significantly disrupt the story flow. The plot and pacing was improved from PTL and so there were no complaints there.

The only major quibble I had with the book really was with the misunderstandings and high school drama towards the end which was frustrating and annoying to read. After all the tribulations that Beth and Ryan had gone through most of the book, I thought that they were better than to be affected by such cliché plot devices. However I guess it realistically portrayed their insecurities due to their young age anyway.

Overall, Dare You To was an enjoyable and emotionally gripping story that would leave readers satisfied. I would recommend it to fans of Pushing the Limits or of anything YA contemporary. I definitely can’t wait for Isaiah’s story in the third book Crash Into You.


An electronic advance reading copy was provided by the publisher. This did not influence my opinion in any way.

9 comments:

Kayla de Leon said...[Reply]

I keep seeing this on my NetGally dashboard. Thanks for the great review! :)

letoile19 said...[Reply]

@Kayla de Leon

Thank you! Hope you enjoy it once you get around to reading it :)

Sunny @ A Sunny Spot Blog said...[Reply]

Hi Estelle,
I'm Sunny the blogger with the glasses from Penguin Teen Live and it was lovely to meet you. I love your blog and I can't believe you only been blogging for a short amount of time, as your reviews are so mature and your design is very cute. I hope that we can get to know eachother through blogging and socialize via Goodreads.

New Follower,

- Sunny @ A Sunny Spot Blog

letoile19 said...[Reply]

Hello, it was great meeting you last night and thanks for dropping by here :) I wish we had more time to chat though!

Awww thank you. I think that is just because I've stalked hundreds of blogs before making my own haha. Your blog is amazing and you've already written so many reviews. I'm working on building up my blog content especially after the HSC so there's not much to see here yet heh.

I look forward to meeting you again some day :)

Pink Lady 631 @ A Sunny Spot said...[Reply]

Yes it would have been nice to chat more. You must have a lot on your plate with HSC, I'm surprised you had time to post all these great reviews. Haha and thank you, it means a lot that you like my blog. I've been blogging for a bit over a year now, so I guess that would explain the many reviews. I look forward to chatting on Goodreads :)


PS. Would you be interested in a button swap? I've just put yours on my blog :)

letoile19 said...[Reply]

Haha, I'm also surprised at myself for bothering to read and review any book right now too. I originally planned to start blogging AFTER the HSC but I guess I couldn't resist lol. Ah yes, I'm on Goodreads very often (more than I should actually), so I would love to chat with you there (and stalk your shelves for recommendations so here's the heads up :P). I would love to do a button swap! This is my first time doing this sort of thing so I'll just add your button to my sidebar, right?

Sunny @ A Sunny Spot Blog said...[Reply]

Oops I don't know why I wrote that in a different Disqus account. Anyway this one is my proper one.

Sunny @ A Sunny Spot Blog said...[Reply]

Haha its a very addictive thing. Yep just paste the link to your sidebar and I will do the same now :)

Sunny @ A Sunny Spot Blog said...[Reply]

Thanks for putting mine up. I've quite a few scrolling on my sidebar, but I can assure yours is there :)

Post a Comment

 

Header Graphic by Inside the Kaleidoscope